Assessment of the environmental impacts of a
brownfield on the surrounding inhabited area
The brownfield concerned is the Mlaka site (INA Refinery). Several Pilot Action activities will be delivered in synergy with the Port of Rijeka Authority.
- Characteristics of the brownfield:
- INA Refinery is situated in the west cost of the City of Rijeka (area Mlaka), very close to the city centre
- It is one of the main brownfields in the territorial Functional Urban Area (200.000,00 m²)
- Some part of the area is residental but most parts are industrial
- The largest share of the area (approx 98%) belongs to private owner
- It represents one of the biggest pollutants in the area
- Main issues/problems:
- Ecological status: chemical reactions of ozone precursors, local sources, transport, inadequate waste disposal, contamination of soil in dismissed industrial areas
- Ownership relations and responsibilities for its rehabilitation, future purpose
- Goals and Needs: The rehabilitation of this brownfield offers a chance to create access to the sea for the population of Rijeka, significantly improving the coastal aspect of the city
- Activities, achievements, results and involvement of stakeholders:
Pilot activities aimed at assessing the environmental impact of the refinery and its possible improvements to safeguard the security of the FUA inhabitants.
In order to carry out such activities, it was necessary to stringly engage the key territorial stakeholders and to cooperate with the Port of Rijeka Authority from the beginning, with the constitution of a local action group. The local action group is composed by representatives of utility societies, companies who deals with prevention and sanitation of pollution, energy agencies and institutions responsible for controlling the health conditions in the county.
The City of Rijeka drafted an analysis on the future use of the area sorrounding the harbour, focused in spatial planning, urban development and social features of the area and with plans related to its revitalization and future uses. It also proposed measures for the rehabilitation of the area with a focus on the legal framework and possible development measures aimed at safeguarding the quality of life and the health of citizens living near the brownfield. Results were presented to skakeholders within a national conference with the intent of collecting inputs and follow up from stakeholders. All actions were carried out in close sinergy with the Port of Rijeka Authority.